Political Correctness
I almost
just left this entire page blank. That’s
the easiest way to approach this topic.
I am a pretty old fart, so I have lived through a variety of iterations
of what passes for “politically correct” across multiple decades. They are as wildly different as hairstyles
and clothing preferences over the same period of time. The ancient Romans summed it up best: De
gustibus non est disputandum, “In matters of taste, there is no dispute.” Simply put, it is what it is. Live with it and adapt to it. Or pay the
price.
One might be
tempted here to digress into discussions about gender, ethnicity, physical
appearance, and the like. I am not
tempted. Of course I could regale you
with tales of what used to pass as acceptable behavior in the workplace (and
elsewhere). The simple fact is that it
doesn’t matter. Things that might have
been customary, tolerated, or otherwise okay are like runway fashions: one day they are in, the next day they are
out. The rules change and you have to
accept the changes comply.
It’s really
not as arduous as it might seem. Rules change all the time. Tax laws change. Accounting principles change. HR procedures change. You wouldn’t think about contravening these
changes using the defense that you prefer doing it the old way. Or at least you shouldn’t. Political correctness operates on the same
principle. It doesn’t matter what worked yesterday. You need to be aware of what works today and act
accordingly. Awareness and communication
are the keys here. As a leader, you must
be on top of what your employees are experiencing and provide a model that
demonstrates an understanding of and sensitivity to that experience. Remember that in this case you don’t make the
rules, but you had better know them and abide by them.
Period.
Comments
Post a Comment