The Berra Principle: What is This Blog About, Anyway?
Yogi Berra
is quoted as having said, “In theory there is no difference between theory and
practice. In practice, there is.” A lot
of life is like that. It all looks pretty straightforward from the
sidelines. But when you cross on to the
field of play, theory is just that. What
matters is what is happening in the game, whether it be baseball or big
business. Over a forty-year career my
experience has been that this is how leadership works. There is a rich literature on leadership, and
probably as many theories on leadership as there are authors of books and
articles. This blog, as you may have noticed, is not about theory. It is about doing.
Theory is by
and large neat and clean. Practice is often chaotic and messy. Leadership does
not come from a structured, step-by-step formula for success. It comes in large
part from what you experience daily on the field of play, be that in the office
or on a baseball diamond, and how you respond. I was never much for watching
from the sidelines, or for trying to figure out what algorithms needed to be
applied to a given set of circumstances. I was more for taking the field and
playing the game. This is what Yogi
Berra was all about, hence “The Berra Principle.” He saw more clearly than most that practice
is what gives you a framework for operational theory, in baseball or in life,
and not vice versa.
The same
goes for leadership. You can’t learn the fine points of the game (or even the
basics) from the sidelines. You can’t
lead from there, either. Leaders are
those who step on the field and play the game.
Leaders aren’t made. They just
are. Leadership emerges from a blend of
natural ability and experience. The key
to leadership for me was to take what I observed and endured and make it
mine. I never aspired to be like any
leaders I worked with. I aspired to take
everything—the good, the bad, and the ugly—and use it to shape my own
style.
This blog is
about where leadership took me and what I learned along the way. It is based on
events, not theory. Leadership took me, among other places, to the front page
of the Sunday New York Times (above the fold), to The Atlantic magazine, and to
ABC’s Nightline. What I learned getting to those places may be helpful to
someone else.
What
I have to say comes from a unique and unusual career. My team at University of Phoenix undeniably
changed the face of American higher education. In so doing we set precedents
and broke a lot of new ground (and a few rules). We pioneered elements of
distance education that are commonplace today. There was no theory or template
to follow. We stepped onto the field every day and took our swings. We learned
from our successes and setbacks and refined our game. Our distinctive perspectives, at least mine, on
higher education and the world in general—including leadership-- has
undoubtedly been shaped by all this.
Comments
Post a Comment